Crisis loans

By on 443 comments

Crisis Loans are emergency payments for unforseen or unavoidable circumstances, Crisis Loans can be either applied for over the phone on the latest CRISIS LOAN NUMBER or you can us an application form. The maximum crisis loan ammount available to any one household is £1500, and this limit it non negotiable. If you have hit your limit you can no longer be awarded any further loans until you have paid back some of the debt owed. In these circumstances you can apply for a Community Care Grant

To apply for a Crisis Loan online get the CRISIS LOAN ONLINE APPLICATION

Crisis loans over the Telephone:

In some circumstances Crisis Loan applications can be taken over the telephone in an interview that will take around half an hour, at the end of this time your application will be assessed by the person that you were speaking to whilst you are on hold and if awarded – the amount  that can be paid to you will be sent to your local Jobcentre Plus office for collection as a Giro that you can take to exchange for cash at you nominated Post Office that day.

The crisis loan application process is very simple, initially you will need to call the Social fund telephone number for your area and go through a set of security questions ( you will need your National Insurance number) and once you have done this you will need to explain the circumstances of your crisis.

Depending on the Nature of your crisis you may be offered a face to face interview or continue the application over the phone.

Generally you will be able to apply over the phone for any immediate disaster, or unforeseen loss of income- however may need to provide further information if your application relies on an application for money to secure a property ( Rent in advance) and you may be asked for a valid tenancy agreement

Crisis loans provide help for people who need money quickly because of expenses in an emergency or disaster. They can also help with rent in advance in certain circumstances. Crisis loans have to be paid back to the Social Fund, but they are interest-free. This means you will not have to pay back more than the amount of the loan. Crisis loans are discretionary which means that you will not get one just because you are eligible to apply. The benefit office will decide whether to pay you anything based on how much money is in the district Social Fund budget, and how urgently you need help.

Who can apply for a crisis loan

Anybody over the age of  16 can apply for a Crisis Loan, if they find themselves in a situation where they do not have enough income to provide for their immediate needs in the short term, this can be for single people or for families. A Crisis Loan is assessed based on the situation that you are in, and not for a future event, so  there is no point applying for an upcoming phone bill. To qualify for a Crisis Loan, you do not need to be on Benefits, however you do have to be in a situation where you are unable to obtain resources from another source, Bank loans or wages for example. There are some people that are excluded from being awarded Crisis Loans, this includes people under 16 those in permanent residential care, and those in Prison.

Who cannot get a crisis loan

People in the following categorise cannot be awarded Crisis Loans:-

  • Those  in a care home or in hospital, unless you are going to be discharged within the next two weeks
  • Those that are a prisoner being held in prison or on home leave
  • Those that are a member of a religious order which meets all your accommodation and living costs
  • Those that  are under 19 and in full-time education (unless you are getting Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance).

Your Immigration status will have an effect on your ability to be awarded a Crisis Loan

If you are unsure if you will qualify or are able to apply, you can speak to your local  Citizens Advice Bureau. to get advice be e-mail you can contact your nearest CAB.

What expenses can a crisis loan be made for

A crisis loan can be paid for any specific need unless it is an excluded expense. However, the need must have arisen because of an emergency or disaster, or because you have to pay rent in advance in certain circumstances. An emergency or a disaster could be a fire or flood, or some other event which means you need something very quickly which you cannot afford. The crisis loan must be the only way that you can avoid serious damage or risk to the health or safety of you or a member of your family.

What are Crisis Loans?

A Crisis Loan is a loan form the Government and is interest free, however as any other loan needs to be repaid.

A crisis Loan is design to assist singles people or families on low incomes when they have suffered and unforeseen disaster or emergency.

Who can apply?

As long as you are over 16, and a UK resident, you are able to apply for help from the Crisis loan section.

What can I use a CL for?

Crisis Loans are intended to be used for the following:

▪   Immediate Living expenses

▪   essential items and services

What amount can I loan?

▪   YOU can apply for the amount that you feel will alleviate your immediate need for assistance

▪   As long as you are over 16 you can apply for any amount for any reason and your application will be assessed based on your need

How do I repay a Crisis Loan?.

▪   You can either arrange to repay the loan out of your wages, or it will be arranged that repayments are deducted form your benefits.

Repayment arrangements will be discussed at the application stage.

How can I apply for  a CL?

▪   If you are apply for help with living expenses you can do this over the telephone.

▪   Calls from BT landlines and phone boxes are free, as are calls made form some mobile hones

▪   If you have applied previously you may be asked to attend an interview at your local jobcentre.

▪    If you are 16-17 you will also be asked to attend an interview.

▪   You can apply in writing using the following form . SF401

Official Information

It is possible to read further information relating to Crisis Loans on the  official DWP website site


Rapid Advice

Share Button

443 Comments To This Article… add one

  • Sonya

    August 2, 2013 at 11:20 pm Reply edit

    In fact, i vaguely remember payments getting taken off my JSA at one point for these crisis loans…They leave it so long its impossible to remember

  • Sophie

    August 2, 2013 at 11:16 pm Reply edit

    I am absolutely disgusted with DWP..I had 3 separate loans crisis loans from them almost 6 years ago..It stated in their letter *you may have to pay this back* NOT *you will have to pay this back*..I was made redundant from one company last year and recently received a small redundancy payment from the Gvt…The very next day i get notified from DWP about these payments relating to almost 6 years ago…I feel strongly I should have been notified about this many years ago…When you do not hear anything from them you assume it has been written off…Instead of them saying *you may have to pay this back* their letter should say eg please let us know when you re-commence employment etc…then people would know they would have to pay it back..Had i known this a long time ago i could have paid it off long before now when i was in a position to do so…There should be a law against the fact that they can request it whenever they like…I saw something online recently but am now unable to find it…it said in England they have a 6 year limit and in Scotland they have a 5 year limit…is anyone aware of this? Thanks in advance.

  • Admin

    August 14, 2013 at 6:29 pm Reply edit

    Hi Sophie,

    The letters that we have seen all seem to indicate that paying the loan back is not an option, more an agreement that you will repay the loan from benefits or contact the DWP upon starting employment with a view to agreeing a repayment plan. In most cases the DWP write out to people who owe money and have not been in contact, however if you changed address it may be that the letter went to the wrong place?.

    Regarding the 6 years that you mention, unfortunately this does not apply to debt owed to the government- this is tied to the way the HMRC want to be able to collect taxes form 6 years + ago.

    It should be possible to agree lower repayments if you are struggling, write a letter to the office dealing with your social fund debt and ask that they consider “rescheduling” the debt over a longer period and also give details of your income and expenditure to show that the present rate of repayment is too high.

  • alison

    June 16, 2013 at 6:22 am Reply edit

    Hi, Im really d]struggling as have been on contribution based jsa since I lost my job in jan. Im a single mum of 2 and due to a speeding fine and unforeseen car repairs and clothing that I had to but for my children – notably shoes, I don’t have enough to pay all utilities, food, top up my rent and basically survive until next payments are due. Also my sons bed has broken and I need to replace that, can I get help with the crisis loan.

  • reace wilkinson

    June 10, 2013 at 10:06 pm Reply edit

    I get £30 every friday and I got put £13 away to get college and I need some new stuff to where

  • Loans Help

    June 11, 2013 at 8:24 am Reply edit

    Are you on Bnefits? and where in the UK do you live?

  • jayde

    June 2, 2013 at 8:35 pm Reply edit

    Hi, due to my partner bein of sick and me still on maternity leave. Weve both had rubbis pay, weve managed to pay the rent for this month,but still owe a previous months worth.
    Thing is now were stuck for food electric/gas and the babies essentials, basicailly have no money to survive the month. Is there any sort of help i could get. Please :(

  • Louis Bennett

    April 23, 2013 at 1:00 pm Reply edit

    atleast write the number so i can call you fucking idiots.

  • Jim O'Ryan

    April 13, 2013 at 6:22 pm Reply edit

    I am on incapacity benefit. Am I entitled to a budgeting loan? Please advise

  • roy edward hands

    March 1, 2013 at 11:51 am Reply edit

    im trying to get a ccg and bugiting loan form sent out to me amnd i cant find the link how do i do this i will put my friends e mail so that u can answer my problem as i dont have a e mail address

  • tony

    February 4, 2013 at 8:00 pm Reply edit


  • tony

    February 4, 2013 at 7:58 pm Reply edit

    hi just got a letter in post asking for £400.00 back dated 17 years ago i asked dwp why whats this .they said a budget loan i took out.what 17 years ago ,do i realy have to pay this back by LAW

  • christina

    August 6, 2012 at 2:52 pm Reply edit

    hi! i have recently been kicked of my mum and dads house and im only 17 years old and i wonted to no can i have a crisis loan to help me out because im living on nothing at the moment and i need to help my friends mum out aswell because im sort of staying with her!

  • lee

    August 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm Reply edit

    i have had no money for 2months now!! sanction finished 3weeks ago but yet still aint been paid n crisis loan dont help me what can i do with no money

  • bee

    July 20, 2012 at 9:32 pm Reply edit

    I am living in council property I been evicted because could not manage my rent areas when I lost my income I have applied for icome sup and housing benefit which I was awarded in months delay . Council took court action and I have to move out in 11days. I have been looking for accomodation in priv settings but they need rent in advance which I don’t have. I am single mum , my son is 5. Would I qualify for crisis loan?

  • sean

    July 10, 2012 at 11:52 am Reply edit

    Hi fairly recently last year, i was illegally evicted from my last perm address. The landlord illegally took possession of all my stuff, he has since sold and disposed of everything which has left me with nothing at all. since then iv been living in a hostel which provided everything for me(fully furnished). However last week the local council have given me keys to my own property the only problem is now i have nothing and im struggling very much. Im on Incap benefit so im not entitled to a community care grant or a budgeting loan so i was wondering if i could get a crisis loan to help pay some of the costs of setting up my new home and whether or not i could receive help to buy new cloths

  • Sophie

    June 19, 2012 at 7:07 am Reply edit

    Hi , my partner has just got himself a job and he has got to wait a month till he gets payed we have a 16 month old and we dont have any money to pay the bills and food can we apply for a crisis loan??

  • muna

    June 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm Reply edit

    Heyy I applied for income support 30 of april as I was 29 weeks and could no longer get job seekers allowence. I was originaly told it would take 7 to 10 days to process, however this didn’t happend , my first application was lost and only last week friday I recived a form which I had to complete because of my nationality I filled it and sent it back they now told me that my application would take futher 2 weeks to process , I have no money I been borrowing from friends and family. I’m wondring if I could apply for crisis lone as I’m 36 weeks now and I have notting to live on or anything ready for my baby.

  • saz

    May 31, 2012 at 10:22 pm Reply edit

    i dont no what to do my daughters brother has just been told his cancer is terminal and is not expected to live for much longer would i be able to get traveling cost to go down to him so she can spend a few days with him b4 he dies and would they also help towards the cost of us staying some where i really dont want her to not see her brother b4 her dies :-(

  • Social Fund

    June 4, 2012 at 5:30 pm Reply edit

    You could apply for a CCG or BL, but a crisis loan would only be paid for travel costs if you were stranded,

  • kimberley

    May 31, 2012 at 6:42 am Reply edit

    I claimed for my rent in advance over 2weeks ago and still havnt heard anything how long does it take up to for them to message me back because I keep gettin threatened to be kicked out and I have a 2year old son

  • Social Fund

    June 4, 2012 at 5:31 pm Reply edit

    Usually around two weeks tops.

  • kirsty bedford

    May 28, 2012 at 11:10 pm Reply edit

    hi i was wondering if i would be able to apply for a crisis loan at all i’m a single parent with a 2 and half year old girl, i dont have any other financial help and in need off some money to get food, gas and electric so i can keep us going until the next time i get paid. i dont have any other money coming in and i lost my purse the other day so had to cancel my bank card and lost the money i had in it. i dont know what to do, please help. can the social pay directly into my account? as im not allowed to go into town and havent been there since my little girl was born due to my ex partner and his family.

  • Social Fund

    June 4, 2012 at 5:57 pm Reply edit


    you can apply for a crisis loan for lost money, even if your not on benefits.

  • Alex Skelton

    May 28, 2012 at 3:50 pm Reply edit

    Last year me and my partner had a load of issues and we applied for 3 crisis loans amounting to about £1160 (most of it was rent in advance for the property we are in now) we started paying it back through our JSA from jan. Not sure how much has been paid off but I don’t think it was a lot. We are moving from JSA to income support sue to my pregnancy and because of this our housing benefit has been suspended until later on this week but we have no food and income support claim is still not processed. Would we be able to get a small crisis loan for food and then make a full payment once the housing benefit comes through? we were orginally going to use the housing benefit payment for the food

  • Social Fund

    June 4, 2012 at 5:56 pm Reply edit

    Alex, you can apply for another crisis loan, call up and ask for an alignment to benefit.

  • joe

    May 22, 2012 at 9:14 pm Reply edit

    hi i signed on the 11th may and filled in my book but apperently i didnt apply for a nuff jobs during the 2 week periord i filled out 11 jobs and made contact not all of them replys, ive had no money since and need money to get food and gas and electric!!! will i be elegible for a crisis loan to cover my living costs food ect, thanks joe

  • Social Fund

    June 4, 2012 at 5:51 pm Reply edit

    apply for JSA hardship, as you are not eligible for a crisis loan whilst sanctioned ( most of the time)

  • Niel

    May 21, 2012 at 5:31 pm Reply edit


    I have recently got a new job starting next week. but i had to lend interview clothes off a friend. I was told i could apply for a crisis loan to pay for new clothes. shirts, ties, shoes, pants etc and for travel to my job for the first week as my car is in the garage and i would need public transport. would i have a case at applying for a crisis loan?

  • Social Fund

    June 4, 2012 at 5:58 pm Reply edit

    Neil, were you on JSA? if so ask for a back to work bonus of £100 to help with clothes.. crisis loans don’t do clothes any longer..

  • Jade

    May 9, 2012 at 5:54 pm Reply edit

    Hi, I have recently moved into a private let property but am £150 short on rent after a unexpectedly high credit card bill. Will I be able to get help to pay my rent? If not do you know of any other way to help? Thanks.

  • Social Fund

    May 9, 2012 at 7:31 pm Reply edit

    Jade, if you have already moved in then you can’t get a rent in advance crisis loan. you may be able to apply for living expenses ( food/gas elect) though.

  • stephen

    April 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm Reply edit

    i was wondering if anyone could help for the past few years i have been depressed because both my parents have passed away and have no family and have attempted suicide twice in the last two weeks once i ended up in hospital overnight i dont have a cooker and was just wondering could i apply for one on the crisi loan but i think i got one about 2 years ago but had to use the money to pay off my parents funeral expenses i am getting help with councellors now but would they be able to speak to a crisis loan officer on my behalf

  • Social Fund

    May 4, 2012 at 5:57 pm Reply edit

    Stephen, you can call with your councillor and give them the authority to apply on your behalf- you should have no problem getting a CL, however a BL is done in writing, however your councillor should be able to help with that.

  • ryan massey

    April 26, 2012 at 12:37 am Reply edit

    hi i was wondering if i can apply for a crisis loan, i am 17 and currently living in market wells ( sheltered accomodation ) on the wirral in liverpool. I am currently earning no income as income support is messing me about with my money, i applied a month ago and still no money, i called up to ask and they said for me to give a letter to say im no longer living with my parents and they also said it may take a few more weeks. But to be honest i carnt wait another few weeks because a need a freezer, kettle, toaster, cutlery, bowls, plates, pans and food. I have been living off cupboard food for a month now as i only have an icebox in my fridge. I havnt eaten much since ive been living here because i have only soup and noodles, these foods arnt really my taste as i have been living off them for a while now. Help please i am starting to feel very down and depressed and need it, thankyou

  • Social Fund

    May 4, 2012 at 5:38 pm Reply edit


    apply for a crisis loan, on the basis is of needing “an alignment to benefit” until your I.S is sorted-

  • david

    April 21, 2012 at 8:27 am Reply edit

    I need help no foodand got nothing else

  • Jekaterina

    April 19, 2012 at 11:28 am Reply edit

    Hi, I’m single mum of one 6 years old girl. I’m temporarily unemployed, waiting for JSA and housing benefit. We renting a 1 bedroom flat now, but I have no more money to pay the rent, and cant move in another place for the same reason… Can I apply for crisis loan?

  • Social Fund

    April 22, 2012 at 8:50 am Reply edit

    You cash apply for a crisis loan for food, and gas etc.. but the rent should be covered by housing benefits once your JSA is sorted.

  • emma

    April 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm Reply edit

    hi i am currently off work sick and my ssp1 has ended, which means my working tax credits has stopped. i recieve child tax credit which is around 50 pounds a week. i am waiting to hear regarding esa but havent heard anything yet. the next two weeks i will only have an income of 50 pounds so that will be 25pounds. which does not cover my bills let alone the food costs for me and my daughter. what advice would you give?

  • Social Fund

    April 5, 2012 at 7:37 am Reply edit

    Hi Emma,

    i would suggest that you apply to the social fund for a crisis loan- ask for one on the grounds of needing an “alignment to benefit”. They will only pay for food, gas and electric ( if your are on top up meters) Crisis loan number

  • Dan

    April 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm Reply edit

    When does the 12month rolling year start again? i had my first loan in june 2011 and last in december. is the rolling year 4th april-4th april?

    many thanks


  • Social Fund

    April 5, 2012 at 7:35 am Reply edit

    Hi Dan,

    A rolling year is individual, in your case your 12 months starts 365 days after you hurts loan ( that was after April 2011) so in July your only application would be the december one.

  • Nathan

    March 29, 2012 at 5:50 pm Reply edit


    I’m 22 and I have just got off of an apprenticeship with Microsoft and found a job that I start next week. I need money so that I can get to work and pay my monthly car insurance this month, I just don’t have enough money to get me through until I get my first pay check at the end of April. Would I qualify for a crisis loan?


  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 3:39 pm Reply edit

    You could apply for an alignment to wages- however they would only pay for food and gas/electric- not the motoring costs unfortunately.

  • craig

    April 20, 2012 at 7:47 pm Reply edit

    my exs cousin was on jsa an got half her car insurance paid for her

  • sarah

    March 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm Reply edit

    and why is that pick up when i write something?!!!!

  • stephanie

    April 12, 2012 at 9:33 am Reply edit

    go on gumtree free stuff loads of people give away there unwanted prams.also put a wanted add up for 1 as someone will get back to you.

  • Social Fund

    April 12, 2012 at 10:52 am Reply edit

    Good advice.

    However would you trust a used pram?

  • sarah

    March 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm Reply edit

    hiya i am unemployed and have a baby of 5 months her buggy is brocken i rang crisi loan they said they couldn’t help… any ideas on how i can get a new buggy?

  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 3:39 pm Reply edit

    Apply for a CCG

  • carrieanne

    March 28, 2012 at 7:12 am Reply edit

    Hi,i received a letter yesterday that my esa money had been stopped due to a non attendance of a medical examination. I had legitimate reasons for not attending and informed the necessary people of why i could not attend :( They have deemed my reason not viable and have therefore stopped my claim,I have 4 children and am due to move home this friday! i am due to be payed on friday also but this will not happen now,is there any chance i would be able to get a crisis loan as i was to pay removal fees and shopping out of my money,thanks for any help

  • Angel

    March 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm Reply edit

    I was claiming jsa but have had to stop due to mental health problems (anxiety, depression, psychosis – I have been referred to my local mental health care team & had an innitial psychiatrist assesment & am about to start medication) & claim esa instead. I was wondering if there i could get a loan to pay for food. I am currently living with family though they are evicting me soon – don’t know where im going to go. Currently though its just food i need money for as I have ibs and it is aggravated by the food that they eat. The job centre first agreed to pay the last 2 weeks of jsa to me but then decided not to and shut down my claim (didnt tell me til I got help from the CAB to try and chase what happened to the sick note they also took from me!) I realise it could take weeks to hear about my claim for esa & I literally only have £3.67 left. I dont really want to have to eat food that will make me unwell. I also use public transport as I cant drive. Just want to know if there is anything that might be able to help. I have been declared bankrupt in the past so am unable to apply for loans – my bank will only allow me a basic savings account!

  • sarah

    March 26, 2012 at 11:50 pm Reply edit

    I applied for a crisis loan for rent in advance and they told me it takes up to 10 days to process? I tried applying on the phone and they told me to download a form and send it off.

  • Kris

    March 26, 2012 at 9:08 am Reply edit

    Hi i claimed for income support just over 2 weeks ago with my partner who is 31 weeks pregnant, this claim is still going through as the jobcentre messed up the claims and didnt close down my old claim so we have had no money.

    I applied for a crisis loan and got £48 for 5 days for 2 people , Now that ONLY coveres gas and electricity in my property leaving £8 for me and my PREGNANT partner to live on for the 5 days . I can get by on that but not my partner she cant just eat ‘noodles’ for 5 days.

    Any advice would be apprechiated.

    (i have asked for an emergency payment through income support but that aint happening anytime soon)

  • craig

    March 22, 2012 at 1:00 pm Reply edit

    hi, i started a rapid reclaim on march the 13th and im not due to sign untill 5th of aprill which is a thursday so it will be the following tuesday before i get paid, will i be elegible for a crisis loan to cover my living costs food ect, thanks craig

  • kelly

    March 20, 2012 at 11:18 am Reply edit

    hi my partner works 12 hours a week and the job centre have told him that they are paying him £30 this forthnight i am just wondering if i could applie for a crisis loan as i have got two kids to feed and i have had to use child tax credit money to pay bills

  • gavin

    March 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm Reply edit

    I’m 24 jst got out of prison starting a new claim I fink my debt is 2 high 4 a crisis loan wat other options have I got

  • natasha

    March 16, 2012 at 11:41 am Reply edit

    hi i put in a claim for income support as im 29 weeks pregnant, i was on jsa before… im supposed to sign on monday then get paid thursday… which i really need the money. im scared to close my jsa incase they dont pay me my income support… there has bein times when ur waiting weeks. what do i do?

  • charmaine

    March 16, 2012 at 9:08 am Reply edit

    hi my name is charmaine im just wondering actually if i was to go private rented and i had nothing to move in there with would i be eligble as a single parent with my son could i apply for a loan to help me with furniture and paint ect

  • Ani

    March 14, 2012 at 5:58 pm Reply edit

    I was wondering if i could apply for crisis loan becuz i am a student of and i am homeless for the moment. i just applied for JAS and housing benefit . I am looking for a an appartment but i dont have any money to put in for the first month rent and JSA will take a vile for the application to submit. What should i do can i apply until i get the benefit or do you know other places i can apply_

  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 3:32 pm Reply edit


    You can apply for a BOTH a rent in advance crisis loan AND an alignment to benefit at the same time, you don’t gave to wait for your JSA claim to be processed.

  • Katie

    March 14, 2012 at 5:46 pm Reply edit

    Please help. I’ve found myself short I got my income support payment of 78 pound. I only get this amount coz I pay some bills of it b4 it goes in my bank. But out of this 78 I have to pay my phone bill of 34 pound or I will get cut off. I’m in emergency credit on both my meters so will need to put 15 pound on each of them to cover the emergency plus the 3 pound debt on each of them I need to pay and the. Be in credit on them. I have no food in to feed me and my daughter I also a while bac stupidly got a doorstep loan so I need to pay 12 pound for that aswell. Can I get a crisis loan as that totals to 76 pound I’ll have no money for food. I’ve had a crisis loans before but it was a long time ago now. And I really don’t want to try get another doorstep loan. Please advise ty.

  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm Reply edit

    Hi Katie,

    You can apply for a crisis loan, give them a call.

  • Lauren

    March 13, 2012 at 6:48 pm Reply edit

    I lost my purse earlier on today and it go handed in but my money was no longer in my purse and that was the only money I had to last me as I am due to go onto income support from the 19th and as that takes 10 days to sort itself out I will be without money for 3 weeks as rhe last time I signed on was the 6th of march I don’t know what to do.

  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm Reply edit

    Hi Lauren, you can’t definitely apply for a crisis loan, this is exactly the type of situation that they are supposed to cover..

  • pat

    March 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm Reply edit

    hi im on income support and in poor health, my fridge freezer has broken, can i get a crisis loan for another one

  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 1:07 pm Reply edit

    Unfortunately not, apply for a budgeting loan.

  • S-j

    March 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm Reply edit

    Hello, my son has just some how collapsed his cot and going to have to sleep with me tonight. am I likely to get a crisis loan tomorrow if I call first thing. As cannot afford a new one again realistically. Thanks

  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 1:06 pm Reply edit

    Yes you are, as long as your not passed your limit.

  • Sammy

    March 12, 2012 at 1:37 pm Reply edit

    I am 22 years old, I moved from my hometown 4 months ago and was working at a temp job but unfortunately was made redunant two months ago, I am at the moment working one day a week, and have been told I cant get anything from JSA Because whatever i earn will be deducted from my jsa. I have got a current application to the Housing benefit for my rent payments. At the moment though I have £2.50 to my name as all of my money is going towards my share of the rent, I live in three bedroomed flat share with two other people.
    As I have had to put all of my wages into my rent, I ma left with no money to get to and from work, to buy any food for my self, get to interviews, pay my phone bill. I am literally stuck. Will I be able to get a crisis loan?

    Please help.

  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 1:04 pm Reply edit

    Hi Sammy,

    Sorry for the late reply.

    Yes you can apply for a crisis loan, i would also suggest that you apply for JSA too- and get a formal decision, as there are times when people can qualify, although it looks unlikely on the face of the facts.

  • brandon lee

    March 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm Reply edit

    hi im homeless and ive been 2 my local council and they have offered me a paper bond now all i need is rent in advance. how do i apply for this and how long will it take

  • Social Fund

    March 7, 2012 at 1:04 pm Reply edit


    Once you have found a property and have a moving date, call for a crisis loan 48 hours before you move and you will get a decision over the phone on the day.

  • nicols

    March 6, 2012 at 10:25 pm Reply edit

    helloo, im in need of a new bed for me n my children as the mattrasses we have we gettin bites from, iv only been on benifits since early jan will i be entilted to it an how much will i be ble to claim,

  • Social Fund

    March 7, 2012 at 9:28 am Reply edit


    you need to be on a qualifying benefit for 26 week unfortunalty and apply for a budgeting loan, or community care grant, as a crisis loan would not cover a new bed.

  • jackie

    March 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm Reply edit

    is there any help for people that are working with a mortgage and bad credit with children plzplz help

  • Social Fund

    March 7, 2012 at 9:30 am Reply edit

    Hi Jackie,

    Not that we are aware of via the social fund however you can try this

  • catrine

    March 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm Reply edit

    applied for crisis loan. have four very small children and have moved my partner into my home, thus my tax credits have stpped until and joint application can be made. i have no food or electric and have been refused bacause my partners previous social fund and mine combined excededs the limit and refuse to help. so now i have no food to give to my kids. this governemt is a joke they expect you to just starve to death. thank you crisis loan hope you can sleep at night!!

  • Social Fund

    March 5, 2012 at 6:22 pm Reply edit

    If your Crisis is due to the late payment of Tx Credits, then you may apply for an emergency payment from the inland revenue..

    They don’t tend to tell anyone that they give out emergency payments, but they do. its their version of a Crisis Loan.

    Alternatively, even though you and your partner have debt of £1500.00 + you CAN apply for a crisis loan, but need to ask for it to be assessed as a community care grant instead.

  • Emma

    March 5, 2012 at 8:37 am Reply edit

    Hi i’m 32 single person and need to move out of my rented accomadation! i don’t have a deposit as i never had to give one and haven’t got time to save up now! would i be able to get a crisis loan i work full time or do you know of any one that can help with deposits??

  • Social Fund

    March 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm Reply edit


    your local council may be able to help with a deposit.

  • michaela hayward

    March 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm Reply edit

    hi my fridge frezer has gone bust would i be able to get a crisis loan to get a new one as i have a 4 year old daughter and need somewhere to keep her food thanks

  • Nelson Bridgford

    February 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm Reply edit

    Hi, i was wondering, I have spoken to a landlord agency and they want a £400 deposit and one months rent up front, the question i wanrt to ask is can a crisis loan be used to cover the first months rent (i would say budgeting loan but i do not know if i am eligable as i uavent been on JSA for 26 weeks, but have been kicked out of my house with no income and wil be street homeless soon, i am 18) or the deposit? thanks :)

  • Social Fund

    March 7, 2012 at 9:37 am Reply edit

    It would be a crisis loan, and it would cover the first months rent only

  • Sir. Mark Fleming.

    February 27, 2012 at 2:57 pm Reply edit

    Fucking cunt, fucking faced, fucking wankstaines.

  • Chinese Alan

    March 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm Reply edit

    Good too see a quality education wasnt wasted on you Sir.
    ha ha ;-)

  • Social Fund

    March 7, 2012 at 6:57 pm Reply edit

    Exactly what we thought Alan..

  • Karen

    February 23, 2012 at 1:15 pm Reply edit

    I’m writing for advice because i’ve found myself in a desperate situation this week. I’m 48 years old and worked all my life until I took ill two years ago with lung disease. I receive esa and am on the support group, but this is contribution based and means I’m not entitled to any help with anything. Yesterday I was paid into my account but was unable to go to the bank until late on because I had been ill all day. I would have left it until the morning but my daughter had phoned me asking if she could borrow some money from me until friday. Somehow between going to the bank and arriving home I lost my money. I have no idea how it happened and retraced my steps after I had arrived home and realised it wasn’t in my pocket, but found nothing. I rang my brother in a panic because this money has to last me for a fortnight and was money needed to pay for my fuel bills and food. He suggested i phone for a crisis loan and said don’t worry they’ll sort you out . He couldn’t have been more wrong! I telephoned them straight after 9am this morning and the phone was answered by the most arrogant horrible woman i’ve ever dealt with, and being an ex local authority Councillor and CAB advisor I’ve dealt with lot of awkward people. She more or less suggested right from the outset that I was lying to her and turned me down. I then had to go to the jobcentre and was handed a piece of plain paper and told to go and sit and write a statement of why i was appealing. I wrote what i could on an A4 sheet of paper thinking that somebody would come out and interview me about it , but it was taken off me and I was told a decision would be made in 48 hours. I asked the woman what would happen if they still refused and she said “there’s nothing you can do” and shrugged at me. I’m the sort of person who is able to keep a certain amount of self control due to being a public figure, but I’ve been in tears all morning because of the way i’m being treated. I’ve never asked for help with anything and I would never ask for help unless my situation was desperate . If i’m turned down I’m not sure what I will do , can you advise me please ?

  • Social Fund

    February 23, 2012 at 1:30 pm Reply edit

    Hi Karen,

    Sorry to hear that they have given you the run around, unfortunately “I’ve lost my money on payday” is one of the most frequent reasons that they here, and sympathy seems to be lacking.

    Do you know the specific reason that you were turned down? If it was the stock phrase of ” I find it inherently improbable that the customer would lose there money in the manner described” you have a very good chance of having the decisio. Overturned.

    The appeal process is split into 2 parts: initial reviews are done by another decision Maker at the same office, if you are not awarded a loa. At this stage ask to be referred to the Indipendant Review Service- generally as long as you are not in breach of the rules I.e don’t already owe £1500, or have boat already been paid 3 loans or have not already be awarded a loan for this period then they will overturn the Jobcentre and pay.

  • Karen

    February 23, 2012 at 2:05 pm Reply edit

    Hi Again and thank you for your speedy response. Her reason for turning me down was that she found it improbable that my story was true, but then she’d said this the second I started to tell her what had happened which made me feel uncomfortable throughout the whole phone conversation, she was saying things like if you’d dropped that amount of money it would have blown everywhere, and it couldn’t have been getting dark around 5.30 etc, I was really upset and embarrassed by her attitude she was putting words into my mouth constantly. I understand fully that there are people who would do this to try and get more money , but i am a genuine case and have way too much pride to try and pull a stunt just to gain a few extra pounds. I manage well on a very low budget and have done since I had to come out of work. As I said I am on contribution based benefit which means I get no extra help etc and even have to pay for my own prescriptions despite the fact that i have a terminal condition and take a lot of medication daily. Thank you very much for your advise so far it really is appreciated.

  • Aine Reilly

    February 21, 2012 at 7:10 pm Reply edit

    hi, iv recently been told by my mother i have a limited time to get out of my house,as was my brother.i am in full time employment and my brother is on JSA. would i get a crisis loan to cover the deposit/first months rent. also not sure if anyone would know but as i am under 25 and ‘homeless’ as of soon and my brother is on JSA would we be entitled to any financial aid?dont really know how to proceed with getting aid towards setting up home or wether i am entitled to any at all?

  • Social Fund

    February 23, 2012 at 1:37 pm Reply edit

    Your brother may get help, but you would need to save up or speak to the council

  • nat

    February 21, 2012 at 1:19 am Reply edit

    Hi I was wondering if someone can help me I get my incom support on monday and its only
    Tuesday my nan has 72 hours to live and I need to travel up to hull
    Is there anyway of gettin my money early I can’t get anymore crisis loans what do I do?

  • Social Fund

    February 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm Reply edit

    Sorry , of you have already exhausted loans – your best to ask family/friends

  • Not very happy

    February 20, 2012 at 4:59 pm Reply edit

    I applied for a crisis loan when my neighbour set his house on fire and I had to be evicted I had nothing except the clothes on my back this happened 6 weeks ago I still haven’t been able to get in to my house the adviser told me its not much of a crisis I had no cash no cards no id to go into bank no clothes food or house and this isn’t a crisis my partner had to be hospitalised with smoke inhalation for 2days. The advisor then hung up on me when I asked him why this is not a crisis. I called back explained to the advisor what had just happened he told me I wouldn’t get one as I had £10 in my bank account bearing in mind I didnt have bank cards or I’d to go in to bank I questioned him on this he said ok I will start application half way through it he hung up on me I think the attitudes of these people is disgusting i lost everything I owned and that’s not a crisis I have also been hospitalised 3 times in the past 6weeks through anxiety and depression as I am moving from beds it to beds it as I am still homeless if you really don’t have to apply for a crisis loan then please don’t there is no consideration at all .

  • James

    February 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm Reply edit

    Hi Iam on JSA and Iam doing a steps to work course along with a placement so that I work or study 30 hours a week ive just moved into an appartment and my oil heating ran out its my only form of heating or hot water as ive no water heater am I entitled to a crysis loan?

  • Social Fund

    February 15, 2012 at 10:22 pm Reply edit


    this has always been a grey issue… ordinarily large bills are not covered by crisis loans- however if you get a reasonable decision maker, and can convince them that heating oil is akin to money for an electric/gas meter, then you should have a good chance of getting it paid.

    Make sure you have all the facts to hand:

  • fudo

    February 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm Reply edit

    Autistic young man unable to call crisis loan number or visit jobcentre without assistance. Been waiting since last Monday for help, but was finally refused help to even apply today.. Could probably manage without food for a few more days(wouldn’t be the first time) but not without gas. can’t keep on like this. I doubt anyone could indefinitely. So why won’t anyone help if I were low-functioning autistic this wouldn’t happen, but since I can speak I’m left to rot..

  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 12:50 pm Reply edit

    Can you not apply for a crisis loan over the phone?

  • DebS

    February 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm Reply edit

    I wondered if anyone can answer the following for me please? I took out a Crisis loan in December 2009.
    I have just received a letter telling me they are going to start taking the repayments. This is over two years ago!
    Is there a time limit as to when they can start taking money off me? Two years seems a long time to wait.
    Thank you.

  • Social Fund

    February 15, 2012 at 10:32 pm Reply edit

    Hi Debs,

    No there is no limit- the assumption is that you would have called them when you found a job and continued to pay

  • kasey flipping

    February 8, 2012 at 2:18 pm Reply edit

    hi ive bn homeless for 2 years im in part time work and work for hours a week i ment to b moving in my flat next tuesday im on job seekers can i phone up for a crissis loan for my bond

  • Social Fund

    February 15, 2012 at 10:34 pm Reply edit

    No bonds- but you can apply for rent in advance

  • sam

    February 8, 2012 at 9:00 am Reply edit

    without a long essay, I am on Esa, and reg disabled, living in council 2 bed 2nd floor flat so housebound. I have been given a ground floor flat but nearer to my parents, I collect the keys on monday, but because its over a hundred miles away and because of my disablitly its impossible to move myself. removal company want 800 pound to move me, but also i can gather a few people but to hire the van would be nearly 200 pound, does anyone know where I can get help because there seems to be a lack on information around. I was told I could apply for community grant but I need to out by next friday. and van would need to be booked in the next couple of days to guarantee i would get one. total nightmare. the new place hasnt got carpets and because of my walking i have to have carpets so i dont slip. just dont know where to turn.

  • Social Fund

    March 31, 2012 at 12:49 pm Reply edit

    Unfortunately you can not guarantee a community care grant- sorry

  • Darren

    February 6, 2012 at 9:31 pm Reply edit

    U can get a payment for GAS and electric and food I tend to claim £20 for gas £20 Elec and £60 food when JC messes up, that tides me over, as for rent in advance I think u can get help if you get a letter from Landlord or council

  • Natalie

    February 6, 2012 at 8:34 am Reply edit


    Jobseekers have messed up my switching from cont.based JSA to I.B JSA, it’s been almostr 8 weeks since I had a payment now. Housing benefit over paid me a while back and have taken a large lump from my pyament. My rent is now due, the landlord is pestering for it, and I can not pay anywhere near what I need to. I have no money for gas, electric or food or to pay my council tax. I also have to move in a couple of weeks and have no money for removal expenses. Can I get a crisis loan over the telephone to help as I need to pay the rent and council tax, and buy gas, electric and food urgently.


  • Darren

    February 6, 2012 at 3:00 am Reply edit

    Hi Im hoping someone can give me a little advise, I have recently found employment, I start on tuesday, I was supposed to be getting my JSA payment if I was still signing on on 6/2/12 but obv im no longer on JSA and wont be getting paid till the end of the month, according to a letter I got from the JC my claim ended on the 18th which was my last signing day.

    Would it be possible to get a crisis loan to tide me over, or is there another form of payment im eligible for?

    Any advise on what to do next would be great thank you very much

  • Darren

    February 6, 2012 at 10:43 am Reply edit

    Also I should Add I was supposed to attend interview on the 20th but found empolyment before this and as such was told that I was not eligible for a job grant as I didnt inform them that id found a job and they closed my claim down

  • amy

    February 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm Reply edit

    Hi, just wondered if you could give me some advice. Me and my 3 year old son was living in a privately rented flat but i had to move out and stay with my mother due to harresment from neighbors. I’m now living with my mother who’s a very heavy drinker which is very distressing for me and my son and she’s threatened to chuck me out. I’ve found a property in maidstone and the landlord wants 625 rent in advance and 625 deposit. Is there any chance I can get help with it im on income support

    Many Thanks


  • Tash

    February 2, 2012 at 9:57 pm Reply edit

    Hey, i moved into my 2 bed flat with my partner and little boy 18months ago, we were both working part time but then my partner was unfortunately made redundant so i began full time work to cover the costs of bills e.t.c, my partner found several part time – short contract jobs which was fine at the time but obviously they ended. He has just found a new permanent 4 day a week job and i have given up mine to spend more time with my little boy and im starting college in september. Our only problem is dues to everything constantly changing since we moved in ( wages, tax credits, housing benefit e.t.c ) we have never had a consistant similar amount of money for more than a couple months at a time and have fallen into arreas of about £1000 in utility bills, i already have a bank loan which i cant get extended that i taken out 4 months ago as we needed new appliances, and my partner has a relatively bad credit history and gets declined credit everywhere. I was just wondering if i would be eligible for a crisis loan? I hate constantly having letters through for bills that i just cant afford to pay at the moment and would love to be able to pay them off and start off on top of things again. many thanks

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 4:00 pm Reply edit

    Hi Tash,

    sorry crisis loans don’t usually cover utility bills…

  • nel

    February 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm Reply edit

    hi i started a job last week and i dont get paid until 16th there any help i can get from jcp???? i have previously been on jsa

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 3:57 pm Reply edit

    You can ask for either an alignment to wages ( crisis loan) or ask the job centre about a job grant..

  • Becki

    February 1, 2012 at 12:40 pm Reply edit

    hiya am wondering if you can help i am a singal mother which is not fault of my own so before start judging me i have work since i was the age of 16 but i got caught pegenat and my boyfriend up and left me on my own to deal with it all and dose not help me in any way. my washer has just broke and am wondering if i can apply for crisi loan to help me pay for new one as i got a 9 months old child that needs cleans clother and i cant afford to buy new clother till i get my washer fixed or a new one !!!! and i got no one to wash them for me as it just me and my son please help in any thanks :)

  • Laura

    January 31, 2012 at 5:57 pm Reply edit

    Can i get some help with school uniform costs? Son has had to change schools and i just dont have the money to buy it!

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 4:09 pm Reply edit

    no sorry these are not covered..

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm Reply edit

    no school uniform help sorry

  • hannah

    March 8, 2012 at 3:23 pm Reply edit

    ure local authority can help u with uniform costs, ring them up.

  • brenda

    January 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm Reply edit

    my daughter applied for a crisis loan today 30.01.12 .she was on the phone for an hour.she has been on sick pay but had to go back on JSA today but was told she had to wait 10 days for payment.she has 2 children one with asthma.her gas and electric are pay as you go meters.she was told to go to friends or family to borrow money or see if she could sleep on their floor until money came through.she was refused a crisis loan.the lady she spoke to was not very nice or helpful.she had already made her mind up to refuse.I thought there was help out there but I was wrong.she has sent a letter in to appeal but does not know how long she will have to wait.

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 3:55 pm Reply edit

    Call again and ask for a “review” and take the letter to your jobcnetre to fax through- usually looked at 24-48 hours

  • andy

    January 30, 2012 at 3:43 pm Reply edit

    So..This is where all the SCUM meet and exchange scams on how to get our taxpayers money!!!!
    Staffy bull terrier in tow,along with energy drinks.and damn annoying rave music that blasts the same beat..

  • Kimberley

    January 30, 2012 at 3:35 pm Reply edit


    I was wondering whether I qualify for a crisis loan.
    I recently moved to the UK (3 months ago) and I am self-employed as a freelance translator. Unfortunately, the client I worked for the month before I moved here (usually you have to wait up to 60 days before you get paid for the job you did) turned out to be a scam. He scammed me for over 15oo pounds and, since I wasn’t able to work much because of the move, I am basically down to not having money to eat. I have spent everything that I have to have some food and I am basically living on toasted bread without anything.. I am working a lot to make up for the loss, but I always need to wait at least 30 days to get paid. I also got a council tax bill that I really can’t pay at this moment and rent is becoming difficult as well.

    Can you please advise me about this?
    Thank you so much in advance!

    Kind regards,

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 3:53 pm Reply edit

    you may be awarded a crisis loan whilst your wage becomes stable- you will have to satisfy a habitual residency test though, by the sounds of it..

  • m.stashak

    January 29, 2012 at 11:36 pm Reply edit

    I was wondering if we are entitled for the crisis loan? My hubby is full time working from last 3 months but 2010/2011 were very,very bad for us. Paying back lots of debts and hardly got any many to feed 4 of us ( usually 50£ for all of us). We need to leave temp. accommodation ( 1 bedroom in sheared house and me, my hubby 14 years old and 1,5 daughters). Don’t know what to do? Need asap money towards deposit and monthly rent in advance but got no help at all. We’ve been trying to deal with the situation but got no idea what to do now. From Monday we are going to be homeless. We are not claiming any of the benefits.

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm Reply edit

    You can apply for a crisis loan, however as your hubby is in F/T work you will have to answer additional questions around why you can’t get a loan elsewhere

  • Camden Resident

    January 28, 2012 at 12:51 am Reply edit


    I am 24 years old rent off a private landlord for £636 a month and I am not able to pay rent/ pay back money that has been lent to me to purchase furniture for my room, or pay off a or travel or any other immediate needs. I have applied for JSA and Housing Benefit but I a still awaiting a decision and neither will arrive before the due date for my rent.

    If I a unable to pay I will be evicted and be made homeless.

    Am I able to apply for financial help and if so which.

    Many thanks.

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm Reply edit

    You are able to apply for a Crisis loan for your immediate living needs- the rent is something that is not covered, however Housing benefit should backdate.

  • jade

    January 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm Reply edit

    hiya, ive just come off JSA as im having an op next week and ive just put in my claim for ESA and the wont give me money for 3 weeks but im due to get paid JSA next wed (8th) but thats been stopped so now i will have no money coming out of hospital for anything such as food and proper clothes to stop people seeing the bandages…

    can someone help me out? i dont know now when ill be getting paid…….

    im 18 and still live at home but i have to pay rent and utilities even tho i wont have money so i will probs be chucked out………………………………….xx HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 3:45 pm Reply edit

    call and ask for your claim to ESA to start on the day that you go to hospital, and your JSA to stop the day before- that way you may be due some more JSA

  • Mike Storm

    January 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm Reply edit

    For the past 6 months I moved from IS to ESA, but it is still in appeal, due to admin errors ect my certificates get sent to the wrong departments, thus I am left with no payment when payment is due. I have had 3 Crisis loans, 2 of them were normal crisis loans but the 3rd was an alignment to benefit, I have been told because electricity was taken into account in he calculation I am not able to apply for another loan, even when reviewed. I was told the 3rd loan would not count as it was in payment but not being paid. I am confused can I get another loan till they find my certificate, or am I stuck?

  • Social Fund

    February 6, 2012 at 4:24 pm Reply edit

    you can only get an alignment win your benefit is being processed at the new claim stage..

Leave a Comment