The Industrial Injuries Disability Benefit (IIDB) is compensation for individuals who get disabled during their work or those having certain diseases due to areas of occupation. For example, those diseases caused by exposure to industrial chemicals, or hearing problems due to noisy machinery. Naturally, the benefits may not apply to those self-employed persons, and it is a no-fault scheme paid by the Department of Work and Pension.
Typically, if you are seeking compensation from your employer for the injuries that occurred in your workplace, it is essential to inquire advice from a personal injury lawyer. Usually, every employee is eligible for the IIDB regardless of age, as long as you have a contract of employment with your employer. Ideally, compensation for personal injuries does not depend on the savings you have, your income or the capital in possession. Additionally, you do not have to pay for National Insurance Contributions for you to apply for benefits.

How are Injuries Assessed?

Naturally, a doctor will examine how your injuries are affecting your health and will conclude the results as a percentage. However, the specialist will only consider the disabilities directly attributable to the diseases or the accidents in places of work. For instance, if you have pre-existing or unrelated conditions, the physician will not include the effects of such situations in your assessment.
Additionally, the assessment may either be for a set period or lifelong, but if the effects of your disabilities worsen, you will receive an advance check-up.

How Much Compensation can you Receive?

Typically, the IIDB will depend on the level of your disability and sometimes your age. But, you must have at least 14% disablement percentage for you to receive compensation. Usually, 14%-19% effect will be rounded off to 20% for payment purposes, and the lowest amount you can get is £33.94 a week.
For example, according to the GOV.UK website, individuals having a 100% disablement are eligible for an IIDB compensation of £169.90 per week.

How to Claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

If you are a resident of Scotland, England or Wales, you can access IIDB application forms Online in the GOV.UK website or you can contact your local Industrial Injuries Benefit Centre. For Northern Ireland citizens, you can apply for the benefits via the NI Direct website or call their Industrial Injuries Branch. Naturally, you have no time limit for claiming personal injuries in places of work as you can apply for compensations even if your injuries started two years back.

Contacting the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) team.

Need to speak to the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) team? We’ve collected some of the most important numbers, and made call connection services for them – see below for individual services to get you through to the people you need.

Department Call Connection Phone Numbers
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit 0843 504 9446
Social Fund 0843 506 0283
Crisis Loan 0843 509 2336
Jobcentre Appointments 0843 509 2322
Job Seeker’s Allowance Claims (New Claims & Existing) 0843 509 2383
Employment & Support Allowance 0843 509 2374
Income Support 0843 509 2374
Incapacity Benefit 0843 504 0374
Universal Credit 0843 509 2382
Universal Credit (New Claims & Appointments) 0843 509 2382
Maternity Allowance 0843 504 9433
Personal Independence Payment 0843 509 2380

Challenging an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Decision

Typically, you have the right to disagree with the decisions made for your benefit, if you believe that the verdict is wrong due to inaccurate information. Hence, you can request a written statement of the reason or apply for an appeal.
However, the time limit for challenging a decision made on your IIDB is strict as you will only be given a month to dispute it. Therefore, it is vital to act quickly and seek advice from a specialist adviser on personal injury.