Maternity Grants are another type of Grant that you can apply for from the Social Fund, they are also Known as Sure Start Maternity Grants, and you are able to apply for a Maternity Grant if you or your partner are pregnant and you are also in receipt of :

  • The guarantee part of Pension Credit OR
  • Income Support, or
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.

It may well be the case that you are entitled to get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if your or your partner are in receipt of Child Tax Credit (at a payment amount above the general family element) or Working Tax Credit (only if you have one of the disability elements as part of your award). Most people find that they are eligible for a Sure start Maternity grant if they have contacted the Inland Revenue to report that their hours have reduced due to them taking time off work because you or your partner are expecting a baby.

It is possible for you to get a Sure Start Maternity Grant even if you are under 16 and not getting any of the qualifying benefits above, as long as the person that cares for you is on one of those benefits and is willing to apply on your behalf.

An additional qualifying crustier for a Maternity grant is that a healthcare professional has assessed your welfare needs and you fit into one of the following:

  • That you or your spouse are 29 weeks gone, or have given birth sometime in the last 3 months.
  • Or that you have a child who is classed as your dependant, who is pregnant or has given birth within three months of your application. For example, your daughter has just given birth and your are still classed as her carer.
  • You are adopting a child aged 12 months or under (by being given an adoption order, having a child placed with you from an adoption agency in the UK or having adopted a child from overseas)
  • You have been given a residence or parental order for a child aged 12 months or under
  • You have been appointed as the guardian of a child aged 12 months or under
  • You are the father or other parent, not in a relationship with the mother and are solely responsible for a child aged 12 months or under.

You can still claim a maternity grant in the last four cases even if one has already been paid to the birth mother or a member of her family.