This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

Usually, private rented sector landlords require at least rent for one month on top of a tenancy deposit. Can you be given help to pay rent in advance?

Rent Payments Before Moving In

Before starting a tenancy, the majority of the private landlords need you to pay a minimum of a month’s rent in advance. Typically, this covers your initial rent payment.

Also, the landlord will often ask for a tenancy deposit payment from you. Landlords ask for a deposit because it acts as a guarantee in case you damage the property or you do not pay your rent.

Rent Payments After Moving In

Usually, you will be required to pay the rent at the beginning of each rental period.

• If you are paying weekly, you will have to pay one week’s rent at the beginning of every weekly period

• If you are paying monthly, you will have to pay one month’s rent at the beginning of every monthly period

When the tenancy ends, your last payment will be a month or week before your tenancy date ends.

Always ask the letting agent or landlord for a receipt for any payment you have made and also check the due date of your rent payments.

Rent Deficit Before the Housing Benefit is Paid

Tenants can claim universal credit to in paying rent. Payment cannot be made before the start of your tenancy. If the landlords ask for rent before your tenancy begins, you will have to find the money from another source.

Housing benefit is usually at the end of each rental period in arrears. This is normally after every 2 or 4 weeks, even if you’ve to pay your rent earlier, in advance every month or week.

Under universal credit, help with housing costs is paid in arrears on monthly basis.

Get advice if there’s a delay in receiving your housing benefit.

Budgeting Loans for Helping Rent Payment in Advance

You could be capable of applying for a budgeting advance or budgeting loan if you cannot afford to pay your rent in advance.

For you to be eligible for a budgeting loan, your partner or you must have been getting income-based (JSA) jobseeker’s allowance or income support for a minimum of 26 weeks.

You can make an application online or go to loans and download a claim form.

You can go to your local Jobcentre Plus and make a budgeting loan application.

You must be claiming UC (universal credit) for you to be entitled to a budgeting advance.

Phoning the Rent in Advance contact number

eed to speak to a member of the Department for Work And Pensions about your issues? Our call connection phone numbers should be able to help – get in touch with the right department by dialling one of the contact numbers below.

Department - we are not affiliated with any organisation mentioned. Call Connection Phone Numbers - we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned
Rent in Advance loan (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 509 2382
Social Fund (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 506 0283
Crisis Loan (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 509 2336
Jobcentre Appointments (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 509 2322
Job Seeker’s Allowance Claims (New Claims & Existing) (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 509 2383
Employment & Support Allowance (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 509 2374
Income Support (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 509 2374
Incapacity Benefit (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 504 0374
Universal Credit (New Claims & Appointments) (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 509 2382
Maternity Allowance (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 504 9433
Personal Independence Payment (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges) 0843 509 2380

Other Loan Schemes that Help in Paying Rent in Advance

Some housing associations, charities and councils operate loan schemes for helping tenants cover their first month’s rent cost.

Different schemes have rules that are different. to qualify you should:

Be threatened with homelessness or be homeless

Be claiming welfare benefits or be on a low income

have a local connection

Some Schemes need you to prove that you are capable of repaying a loan and are capable of sustaining a tenancy,

Usually, these schemes offer a loan that is interest-free paid directly to your landlord. You repay the amount at a rate that is agreed. If you’re entitled to housing benefit, then the money can be repaid from this.

You should contact your local council to find out about your area’s schemes.

Make a DHP (Discretionary Housing Payment) Claim for Your Rent In Advance

In case you already claim universal credit or housing benefit in your current home, then ask your council for DHP towards your rent in advance prior to moving in.