Rent in Advance loans

This site offers advice and call forwarding options, and we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned on this website. Calls to 084 numbers cost up to 7p per minute plus your network access charge.

Rent in advance applications from the Social Fund can be classed as Crisis loans, or Budgeting Loans depending on how quickly you will need to move and secure a new property and are awarded to help people to secure a property when there is a present risk to their health and safety, or when they have nowhere to live.

What is a Rent in Advance loan?

Rent in advance can be applied for either in writing using the form SF401 ( in our downloads and resources section) or you can apply over the telephone for an immediate decision.


You are not able to apply and be awarded help Rent in advance when moving into a new house or flat that is owned or managed by the Local Authority, so you must have a private landlord OR housing association offers.

Once you have identified a property, you should approach the landlord and agree on terms of the tenancy by way of obtaining a tenancy agreement, this should show not only the address of the new house or flat but also the name of the landlord or housing association that you are planning to rent from.

How can I apply for a Rent In Advance loan?

Valid Tenancy agreements have clear details of the terms of the tenancy, including monthly rants and period of the lease, if your landlord has not yet provided you with one you can get one here DOWNLOAD TENANCY AGREEMENT.

Your tenancy agreement will need to be very clear in distinguishing between RENT IN ADVANCE and in a Deposit, as deposits ARE NOT covered by the social fund and will not be awarded, however in some cases you can get help with this from your Local Authority, if you are claiming housing benefit, it would be a good idea to inquire about help with a deposit if needed at this time.

Rent in advance crisis loans have the same limits as other Crisis Loans so you can only apply for a maximum of £1500, however, this amount will be less if you already have a debt with the social fund for any other type of loan.

Need to speak to a member of the Department - we are not affiliated with any organisation mentioned. for Work And Pensions about your issues? Our call connection phone numbers should be able to help – get in touch with the right department by dialling one of the contact numbers below.

Department - we are not affiliated with any organisation mentioned. Call Connection Phone Numbers - we are in no way affiliated with any organisation mentioned
Rent in Advance loan (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 509 2382
Social Fund (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 506 0283
Crisis Loan (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 509 2336
Jobcentre Appointments (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 509 2322
Job Seeker’s Allowance Claims (New Claims & Existing) (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 509 2383
Employment & Support Allowance (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 509 2374
Income Support (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 509 2374
Incapacity Benefit (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 504 0374
Universal Credit (New Claims & Appointments) (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 509 2382
Maternity Allowance (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 504 9433
Personal Independence Payment (Calls cost 7ppm + network charges)
0843 509 2380

Calls to the Social Fund on their direct number 0800 169 0140 are free from any BT landline (this include call/phone boxes) and also includes calls from most of the larger mobile phone networks.

183 thoughts on “Rent in Advance loans”

  1. I lost my job and need money to pay my rent for my kids to have some were to stay can someone please help me get some money to pay my rent

  2. hi I am currently classed as homeless with my 2 sons that are 13 and 7 I have found a property that suits our needs but the lettings department requires £1900 on the day of moving in this I am unable to make as a single parent on benefits is there any help I can apply for requiring the amount is needed to obtain and secure this property?

  3. hi i have found a private rented property i have no money at this present moment what help can i get as the bond months rent and an admin charge needs to be paid and it ads up to just over a 1000 pounds

  4. Sorry just help you can advise me?
    I am 52 female in a three bed home with my son of 19.
    I work full time with a wage of @ 1,000 a every four weeks which I have worked for @10 years .
    My son could only get a 6 hour job at MacDonalds for 5 pounds.
    We both need transport to get to work. Mine could start@ 5 am so need a taxi as bit far from work. My sons work is the othersied of town so needs a few buses and might need a taxi if buses do not run at that time.

    We both suffer from deprestion so we help each other.
    My rent is 750 a month and falling behind on it!

    Council say I earn too much for them to help! And when go to the letting agents they say I do not earn enough?

    I did try MP’s all I want is a smaller home. I have no money left even for rent!
    And council where even nice enough to say i have to pay back some money as one previously quoted me a wrong figure!


    1. Hey Pat,

      This sounds like a terrible situation- :(

      I would suggest that you book an appointment with an adviser at the CAB who will be able to go through your entire situation and be able to offer practical advise on any help in your area.

  5. Im 20 been homeless for quit a while now need a flat asap on the moment every where i look wants 2 months deposite up front? Ive just filled out a rent in advance form. Will they agree to pay the 2 months ?

    1. Hi Liam,

      Your best bet is to apply for one month from your local council as a “bond”- Crisis Loans are no longer issued for RIA as such your application MAY be converted to a Community care grand, or a budgeting loan.

  6. Hi, if someone has a break in their claim whilst they stopped claiming JSA and was waiting to claim ESA, does that mean there is a break and they will not be entitled to Rent In Advance Crisis Loan due to not being on benefits for 26 weeks. Also, does Rent In advance end at the end of March when crisis loans will be adminstered by the local authorities

  7. hey ive got a form for crisis loan rent in advance i juat wanted to no if it is possible that you might have the address for which i need to send it to as ive missed placed the envolope ive been giving

  8. I have recently had a living expenses crisis loan as my jsa claim would take 3 weeks i got the money for gas electric and food and was given this explicitly for those items ive just been told my housing benefit claim will take a few weeks aswell but will be backdated however as my landlord has a 14 day clause in my tennancy agreement i can be evicted if i dont pay rent is there any way i can claim rent early for the 3 weeks ( as my claim is a week old already and i will be 2 weeks behind this week ) in the form of rent in advance crisis loan?

  9. hi i applyed for a crisis loan rent in advance as im meant to be moving on the 04/02/13 i filled out the application and sent it last week how long does it take to get an answer if im allowed it

  10. hi me and my partner are looking for a house that accept housing benefit. We may have found one on a site that mainly deals with housing benefit properties but have no guarantor. We have been told that some housing assosiations dont ask for a guarantor but only a first month deposit. Are we able too get a crisis loan too pay for it?

  11. Im currently sleeping on my ex boyfriend living room floor with my 10 month old son, Ive found a new place to move into but was only told on the 7th of june that I would be moving in on the 14th. I phoned up the rent in advance number on the 7th and was told I could either send an application, which I was then told wouldnt arrive on time or phone within 48 hrs of moving in to get emergency application over the phone.
    I phoned the emergency line today (12th of june) and was told I had to phone within 24 hours of moving in and that I should have sent in an application on the 7th by post(even if they wouldnt recieve it on time).
    Im pretty desperate to move out as my allergies to my ex’s two cats are just not good and my son isnt liking sleeping on a cat fluff floor with me wheezing and sneezing.
    I’ll still phone them tomorrow but Im feeling a bit like Im being passed around. Is there any other help?

  12. I applied for a rent in advance loan on the 1st of June but was turned down as I wasnt in risk of health at the property Im staying.
    Does diagnosed with depression due to emotional stress count? After all I have a doctors appointment soon, as I have become depressed in the current situation Im in.
    I was relying on the rent in advance for my first month rent which is due in a weeks time.

    also why is it so hard to get in contact over the phone I tried for an hour on wednessday and even tried today but was on hold for ages and I have a son to look after.

    1. I would suggest that you ask for a review, IF the reason for your illness is directly related to your present accommodation.

  13. Hi I’m due to move in to my new home on Saturday the 9th I claime for the rent in advance yesterday though the form and I want to know how long it will take as I need it for the day I move in

  14. Hi there, me and my freind are moving into a flat together,e have (through sheer hard work) clubbed together the deposit of 595 and now we need the rent in advance, we were wondering if a crisis loan applied to us, my freind has sent off for a budgeting loan for furniture, I am 18 on Jsa and he is 24 on ESA and has problems with mental health issues, please respond as we need information. :)

  15. hi, im just wondering how this works to be honest. i am currently living in a 3 bedroomed house on anglesey, me my partner and son are looking to move to preston area, i am currently 23 weeks pregnant, we’ve found houses that accepted dss but they want a deposit? how do i apply for help? i owe some money from a loan which wont be finished unti 18 weeks away, could i still have help with the desposit?

    1. They will not pay a deposit, you could speak to your local council for the deposit. and apply for a crisis loan for the first months rent in advance

  16. Hi I really some advice. Me and my partner have split up a month ago and have a 2 year old daughter. I am the only one who works and pays all the bills etc. My partner keeps on at me about she wants to move out but has no money and I have no money as I pay all the bills. I’m not trying to make excuses, but I’m stuck on what to do. She has been to the council and they refused to re-house her as she is entitled to live here as we’re both on the tenancy. We both want to move with our lives for our daughters sake. But I’m sure what I, or she, can do? She has recently applied for income support and awaiting for a reply. Neither of us have the means to move out, please help.

  17. I applied a couple weeks ago an haven’t heard anything at all, I haven’t yet got my tenancy agreement but expected to move in next month and I can’t seem to find the number anywhere, what do I do?

  18. Hey there

    I currently only have 8 weeks left until I give birth. I’m also going to be homeless in a matter of days. I don’t work and have been refused benefits so I have no money. I found a suitable 2 bedroom house that allows housing benefit. The council have informed me I can claim housing benefit on this property. However the landlady wants a months rent in advance and the council won’t provide this until after I move in. I need the rent in advance in order to move in. If I can’t obtain it on the streets I go :-(. Would I be entitled to the crisis loan?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Call connection service – Calls cost 7p per minute plus your telephone company’s network access charge.

Real Time Web Analytics