In order to financially assist families that are welcoming a new child, the UK Government has instituted the Sure Start Maternity Grant. This grant is a one time payment in the amount of £500 which is to be used to help cover the costs of having a new baby. It can also be used in situations where a family is adopting a baby.

Who Is Eligible For A Sure Start Maternity Grant?

To be eligible for the grant, an applicant must be currently receiving Government Income Support, Employment Allowance or Jobseeker’s Allowance. Applicants may also be eligible if they are receiving the Child Tax Credit or the Working Tax Credit. The grant must be claimed within 11 weeks of the time when the baby is due or within three months after the birth of the baby. If the grant is for an adopted baby or a baby that is born through a surrogate mother, the applicant must apply for the grant within three months of the adoption or the surrogate birth.

How To Claim The Sure Start Maternity Grant

The process of claiming the grant varies depending on the area in which the applicant lives. For applicants in England, Scotland and Wales, they should contact their local Job Centre Office to request a claim form or visit the website of the Department for Work and Pensions to download a grant claim form. Applicants in Northern Ireland should contact their local Social Security or Jobs and Benefits Office to request a claim form.

Calling the Sure Start Maternity Grant contact number

Need to speak to a member of the Department for Work And Pensions or another team about your Sure Start Maternity Grant issues? Our call connection phone numbers should be able to help – get in touch with the right department by dialling one of the contact numbers below.

Department Call Connection Phone Numbers
Maternity Allowance 0843 504 9433
Maternity Grant 0843 509 2417
Social Fund 0843 506 0283
Crisis Loan 0843 509 2336
Jobcentre Appointments 0843 509 2322
Job Seeker’s Allowance Claims (New Claims & Existing) 0843 509 2383
Employment & Support Allowance 0843 509 2374
Income Support 0843 509 2374
Incapacity Benefit 0843 504 0374
Universal Credit 0843 509 2382
Universal Credit (New Claims & Appointments) 0843 509 2382
Personal Independence Payment 0843 509 2380

Submitting The Right Documents For A Sure Start Maternity Grant Claim

To submit a claim for a Sure Start Maternity Grant, applicants must provide evidence that they have spoken to a health care professional, such as a family doctor, hospital midwife or health visitor, and received advice regarding the health and welfare of their baby. The healthcare professional will need to sign the healthcare certificate that is included on the claim form.

What To Do If A Sure Start Maternity Grant Application Is Denied

If an applicant’s claim for a grant has been denied, the applicant can request for their claim to be reviewed. This process is known as a mandatory reconsideration. If the claim is still denied after the mandatory reconsideration, the applicant can appeal the decision to an independent tribunal. Applicants should be aware of the time restrictions, as there is normally a one-month deadline in which a decision can be disputed, so it is a good idea not to delay and to seek advice as soon as possible.

Important Sure Start Maternity Grant (SSMG) details

What is an SSMG?
  • Intended to help pay for the immediate needs of a new baby, if your income is low.
  • It is a lump sum of £500 for each child and does not have to be paid back.
  • It is paid for each child in multiple births.
Eligibility The customer or partner must be in receipt of either IS, ESA (IR), Pension Credit, JSA (income-based) Working Tax Credit with a disability or severe disability element or Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element.The customer or partner must:

  • be pregnant and expecting a baby within 11 weeks
  • have had a baby in the past three months
  • have a dependent child or dependent young person who is pregnant and expecting a baby within 11 weeks or who has had a baby in the past three months
  • have adopted a baby who is under 12 months old
  • have, in certain circumstances, been granted a residence order by the courts in respect of a baby who is under 12 months old
  • have been granted a parental order by the courts in respect of a surrogate birth.
When to apply From 11 weeks before the baby is due until three months after the birth, adoption, residence order or parental order.If the claimant is waiting for a decision on a qualifying benefit or entitlement, or have asked for their Child Tax Credit award to be reviewed, they must still claim within the time limits.
How to Apply and Information required To apply the claimants should complete form SF100 and return to Jobcentre PlusÂ

Details required will include verification of expected date of confinement, date of birth, adoption, residence order or parental order.

Certificate at back of claim form SF100 to be signed by GP, Hospital Doctor, Midwife, Health Visitor or Practice Nurse confirming that advice on health/welfare of the baby and, if the claim is made before the birth, on maternal health, has been received.

Appeal If the customer wants to know more about a decision or thinks it is wrong they, or someone else who has the authority to act on their behalf, can:

  • ask for an explanation
  • ask for a written statement of reasons for our decision
  • ask us to look again at the decision to see if it can be changed
  • appeal against the decision to an independent tribunal (but this must be in writing).

They can take any of the actions above, or take all of them, but they must get in touch with us within one month of the date of the decision letter.